Friday, June 17, 2011

Welcome Aboard!: We Live, We Grow, We Gather Together

L’Arche St. Louis is underway! We have welcome our first core member, Kim, and her entry is a prize for us all. It’s been a bit over a week, and her presence in the community adds to our life-giving energy. I’ve had the opportunity to spend lots of time with Kim, and I’m so excited by her humor and interests, like her singing. When she carries a tune, my body melts a little. I notice I sit a little more peacefully in my chair as she sings from her repertoire of songs. I adire her willingness to share that joy of singing and to express emotions. She listens to her body and goes to bed even though the fun is still going on. I find myself ignoring wha tmy body tells me, so maybe being around Kim will help me make healthy changes for myself. We’ll see.

Sam Wilson, former board member and current regent in the Jesuits, has been visiting for a few days and that’s been a benefit for the house, and especially for me as Sam has been a reliable mentor/friend for me in the past several years. He also adds a positive energy to the house, due partially for his sweet blues guitar playing. I find myself liking Johnny Cash more and more.

We have a core member lined up to move in to L’Arche here in just a few weeks, if all goes to plan. Welcoming more core members is something I look forward to more now than ever. We plan to have a few opening type events, but a primary one will be in mid August (the 14th?) put on by us and the Maplewood Chamber of Commerce. The ribbon cutting and all. Ideas are becoming realities everyday.

Oh my Gosh! I Almost forgot to mention the Memphis Regional Gathering! St. Louis arrived without core members, but still realy for fun with the rest of the Central Region communities (Mobile, Chicago, Clinton, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Atlanta). There was lots of dancing, talent, singing, field trips (Graceland, Sun Studio, Wellness Center, Dixon Gallery and Gardens) and good meals. I really lose it around chocolate milk on tap. I tried to meet people from all the communities and I was really satisfied with the quality of people I encountered. And seeing my Jacksonville friends was a scrumptious treat.

Thanks for your support, everyone.

No comments: